Shopping the 100-block LA Fashion District may seem like a daunting task, but with a few simple hints and fashion terms, you will soon be on your way to finding some amazing bargains. Be sure to download a copy of the official LA Fashion District map guide available on this website. You may also want to consider taking a guided tour of the District to assist you on your journey.
- Many stores are wholesale-only (solo mayoreo). Signs will be posted on the outside if they are not open to the general public. Occasionally, some wholesale-only stores will sell to the general public - don't be afraid to ask!
- Many stores do not accept credit cards and only take cash. However, there are numerous ATMs located throughout the District.
- Bargaining is encouraged. Store owners are more likely to lower the prices if you buy more than one item.
- Most stores do not have formal dressing rooms.
- Merchandise varies from day to day. If you see something you like - buy it now, it may not be there later.
- Choose merchandise carefully - many sales are final and sold "as is," meaning the merchandise will be sold in its current condition.
- Luggage strollers come in handy when making large and numerous purchases.
- The LA Fashion District is 100 blocks - wear comfortable shoes and clothing!
TERMS TO KNOW - The following are some terms to know when shopping the LA Fashion District:
- Close Out - The item will no longer be made or sold.
- Overrun - Extra merchandise available after retailers have filled their orders. Are often sold at discounted prices to the general public.
- Retail - Refers to the business of selling goods to consumers of the general public.
- Sample - Product that is made to be shown as the example to wholesale buyers and retailers before product is ordered and large quantities are produced. Women's apparel samples are generally size 4 or 6.
- Seconds - Items with some type of flaw that affects the overall quality or look.
- Solo Mayoreo - Wholesale only. Store is not open to the general public and retail shoppers.
- Wholesale - Refers to the business of selling large quantities of goods, typically to be sold in retail stores